Friday 21 May 2010

A classy time with Rhett and Scarlett

When you make a mistake it is the best decision to admit to it, correct it, and share your experience with others so that they do not make the same mistake as well. I quickly judged the sequels on my bad previous experience but fortunately, Donald Mccaig's Rhett Butler's People proved me wrong.

At the beginning, I must admit, the novel didn't grab my attention. The first 200 pages were far from exciting and challenging and I was almost ready to give up the book (which I never do) and start something different. Mccaig spent too much time introducing new characters and Rhett and Scarlett were barely there. However, after having two really stressful exams today, I decided to relax and when into the park. I spent 2 incredible hours walking, reading, and listening to music ( as my flatmate correctly pointed out, we, women, are great at multitasking). I was so drowned into the story that I didn't see anything around me. The result was rather funny as I almost fell several times and bumped into random people.

Back on the novel.Rhett Butler's People is very different from the style we remember from Gone with the Wind. Yet Mccaig manages to tell us a story we already know from a totally different point-of-view - Rhett's. It is not exaggerated to say that we meet a rather different Mr. Butler as from the one we know. However, Mccaig portrays with a sensitive brush one of the most charismatic personages in world literature. He explores Rhett's relationship with his family, his friends, his sister, and his beloved Scarlett. As a bonus, the reader benefits from the author's extensive knowledge on the US Civil War and the difference between the South and the North.

If you miss Scarlett and Rhett, if you thought Gone with the Wind' s end was simply too unsatisfactory and the  lovers deserved one more chance, you will definitely not be disappointed with Rhett Butler's People. Do not expect Margaret Mitchell wearing pants, it's a completely different author with an ingenious approach to the circumstances surrounding the greatest love story I have ever read. I am pleased to say Mccaig didn't spoil my pleasure and impression with Gone with the Wind. Instead he offered me the opportunity to go back and enjoy for one more time Mr and Mrs Butler from a different perspective. Thank you, Donald

No comments:

Post a Comment