Friday 10 September 2010

Alessandro D'Avenia - Another Brilliant Italian Writer

What's up with the great Italian writers that emerge lately? First, it was Paolo Giordano with his amazing novel The Solitude of Prime Numbers (check my review). Now, the next young and charismatic writer is on his way to enchant the hearts and minds of the passionate readers. I am not exaggerating even a bit - Alessandro d'Avenia's White as Milk, Red as Blood (the original Italian title is Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue is childly simple but highly philosophical and influential. You would miss a lot if this novel is not in your library.

Alessandro d'Avenia is an Italian teacher of Classical Languages. His debut novel, understandably, is devoted to the problems that all growing up teenagers face - boring school, mean teachers, unrequited love,  arguments with friends, rivalry. Leo is a 16-years old boy, who loves his guitar, his football team,his motorbike, music, and Beatrice. When Beatrice gets sick from leucemia, Leo is forced to grow up very quickly. He starts questioning the meaning of life and the importance of dreams. His teacher, whom he calls the Dreamer, helps him discover his dreams by asking the right questions. The novel tracks Leo's development from a small, naive, and pretentious little boy to a more mature, independent, and understanding individual. His relationship with his family, his best friend Silvia, and even his teachers evolve reflecting the dramatic change in his character. Leo stays with Beatrice throughout her sickness, seeing her slowly fade away and finally deciding to live not only for himself, but for her as well.


White as Milk, Red as Blood refers to the way the boy perceives his beloved. In the beginning, Leo is afraid from the white color; he connects it to loneliness, void, and lack of purpose. Red, on the other hand, is the color of love, passion, and dreams. Throughout the novel Leo stops fearing everything that is white; he understands the complexity and unfairness of life; he understand he has to live for the moment and to appreciate each and every one of his relationships for the way they are.

The novel is very easy to read; it is not an exaggeration to say that it reads by itself. Do not be fooled by the simple language, because the ideas the author implies are highly philosophical. D'Avania uses a trivial, very recognizable story but he manages to turn it into a novel that cannot leave the reader indifferent. What I absolutely adored is his unique style; the author talks about a simple thing as riding the motorbike or buying shoes; yet at the next moment he strikes the reader with a provocative question about the meaning of life. I literally felt that unconsciously kept underestimating the novel because of the simplicity of the plot and the language. In a minute, though I started re-reading some passages, trying to understand and interpret them; trying to relate them to my life and to extract the moral.

It took me exactly two days to read White as Milk, Red as Blood. Once I put my hands on it, I just couldn't let go. And now it is finished, I feel a little nostalgie for each and everyone of the characters. Because I loved seeing them change and grow - first doubt life and God, then question morality and justice, and finally accept life for the way it is - white, red, silver, black, blue - whatever you want to see it.

15 comments:

  1. i can't find this book anywhere in english, amazon etc. anyone know where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! The book will be released this summer in English...I am D'Avenia's friend and helped translate it!

      Delete
  2. I also couldn't find it anywhere in English. I did a Google and an Amazon search but nothing seems to come up :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. is he married

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, don't buy it in any way. I am Italian and I don't want this shit promoted abroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, but it is a really great book, my favourite right now. Have u even read it?

      Delete
    2. I am italian and I think that is a great book. If you don't like D'Avenia is just jour problem. Italy has no more got good writers, and he is one of the best ones now. So just stop talking and give thanks because someone still writes in Italy! Qualcuno le maiche se le dovrà pure rimboccare!

      Delete
  5. I disagree with Gazelle. I'm italian too and I loved this book: it's so catching and compelling, it's really a masterpiece!
    I've also read D'Avenia's second novel called "cose che nessuno sa"(Things that nobody knows) and I really recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I read it in Dutch and it truly is the most beatiful book I've ever read!

      Delete
  6. my friend gave this book to me as a christmas gift and it was so amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. The English version is coming soon...summer 2013, as I helped translate it for my good friend, the author. It's available only as an e-book to start...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are his friend? how did you met him? I think he is an amazing writer... I wonder if you know if Ció che inferno non é will be translated in english or spanish?

      Delete
    2. you are his friend? how did you met him? I think he is an amazing writer... I wonder if you know if Ció che inferno non é will be translated in english or spanish?

      Delete
  8. Is it now in english? I can't still find it in english...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't find it in English either! Really need it asap!

    ReplyDelete